Disadvantages of using a mobile phone
The great growth and increasing demand for mobile phones is an indication of its success, but this does not mean its full benefit, as mobile phones have negative health and social effects, and the following is an explanation of these harms.
Health effects of mobile phone use
Users’ concerns about the health damages of the phone receive great attention, so researchers paid attention to studying the impact of phone use on people’s health, as their research focused on the presence of germs, the occurrence of traffic accidents, cancer, and the impact of electromagnetic radiation, in addition to the change in sleeping habits, and the following is mentioned For the most important health harms of using mobile phones on the individual:
- Germs: Not only do phones carry private and important data, but they also carry germs, because a person puts his phone in many places that make him pick up germs. Mobile phones are contaminated with a type of faeces, which may be due to people not washing their hands with soap and water after using the bathroom, and in another study of some students from South University in Columbia in an environmental health course, they surveyed a sample of 60 mobile phones belonging to students, and found that the phones were contaminated with staphylococcus methicillin-resistant goldfish (MRSA).
- Health problems: Cell phones communicate with base stations using radio frequency (RF) radiation, and if the radio frequency radiation is high at a certain degree, this means that there is a thermal effect on it and thus raises the body temperature, and there are concerns that low levels of radio frequency radiation emitted Mobile phones can cause headaches or brain tumors.
- The effect of mobile on the eye: The radiation of the phone affects the eye, because the blue light emitted by smartphones, television and others has a short, high-energy wavelength, and is scattered more easily than other colors of visible light, and since computer screens and digital devices emit a lot of this In light, unfocused visual noise can contribute to eye strain, and other common signs of eye strain include headaches, blurred vision, and neck and shoulder pain, as according to the Vision Council, 27% to 35% of Americans experience one of these symptoms after using digital devices.
- Traffic Accidents: Studies show that the use of a mobile phone while driving increases the risk of traffic accidents, so some countries, such as Australia, have been alerted, and considered that talking on a mobile phone and holding it in one’s hand while driving is illegal.
Social harms of mobile use
The negative social effects of mobile phones are numerous, and the following are the most prominent of these effects:
- The impact of mobile use on children and adolescents: Giving mobile phones for children an easy way used by many parents to keep their children and prevent them from disturb all the time, however, it can for this method to return the results disastrous for children, as it affects their growth and their linkages with their parents, according to Dr. Jenny Radiseka Pediatrician at Boston Medical Center; Lack of parent-child interaction can lead to developmental problems, and the use of the Internet easily enables children to access sites that show inappropriate content for their age, and this can have a negative impact on their psyche and thoughts.
- The impact of mobile use on education: Children and adolescents are more likely to be distracted by mobile phones, as phones provide students with entertainment in the classroom and outside school, as some use them in the classroom by playing games, sending messages, or even communicating with other people, which leads to negative effects. Negative, according to the National Services for Safety and Security in Schools , text messages can be a way to help students cheat, and a mobile camera can be used to film exams and photograph other students in a way that violates privacy.
- The impact of mobile phone use on crime: There are many bad effects of the mobile phone on crime, as the prices of smartphones rise dramatically, so some people resort to stealing them if they cannot afford the price, according to the US Federal Communications Commission, nearly one million smartphone thefts occur every year. General in the United States, the confidential information it contains is used by thieves to steal the identity of its owner and use personal information to open new accounts or buy real estate.
Tips for the correct use of the mobile phone
Here is a set of tips for using the mobile phone correctly:
- Avoid using the phone during meetings, put it on silent, and check notifications after the meeting ends.
- Avoid texting in front of others.
- Never tag someone in your photos or share things with them without their permission.
- Putting the phone in the pocket while eating, drinking tea and hanging out with friends.
- Try to speak in a quiet voice on the phone so that other people are not disturbed or to move away a little far to talk freely on the phone.
Martin Cooper changed the world in 1973 AD with his invention of the mobile phone, but he did not imagine to what extent this phone would make a qualitative leap in the world, as it opened up countless new possibilities for ways of communication between individuals, which increase with the passage of time, as everything he wanted Cooper is that people can talk freely on the phone without being restricted to a specific place or time, and it is noteworthy that, according to statistics in 2019, the number of mobile users reached more than 5 billion people, and these mobiles vary between smart and regular phones.
The demand for mobiles is increasing in recent times, as their use by individuals is constantly increasing, but this does not prevent attention to their negative effects , as many studies have found that mobiles are usually contaminated with many harmful germs on human health, and they cause headaches, Eyestrain, pain in the neck and shoulders, in addition to this, the use of mobile phones affects the social aspect as well, as the use of mobile phones by children and adolescents leads to their entry to some inappropriate sites, which affects their upbringing and way of thinking, as well as their use of mobile phones in schools and during lessons in a way that may It harms them and harms others, so you must pay attention to using the mobile correctly.