People have probably heard diplomatic reports about cancer prevention. At times, one cancer prevention tip might not be broad, and it might not end up helping prevent other cancer. What we know about cancer is – that it is evolving. But well-accepted lifestyle changes can be very helpful in saving one from the after-effects.
The most simple steps are maintaining a good diet and exercise. For specific cancer preventions tips, please follow –
Read Also : Best Immunity Boosters Foods and Vitamins
1. Avoid tobacco and its products
Using any kind of tobacco or its products puts the person at a higher risk of cancer. Smoking is the most common type by which tobacco is consumed, and it puts you at a higher risk of developing cancer of the lungs, mouth, throat, larynx, pancreas, bladder, and kidney. Chewing tobacco has a higher risk of developing cancers of the oral cavity or pancreas.
- Avoiding smoking and second-hand smoking is the best act.
- Avoiding tobacco is an important step in cancer prevention.
2. Eat a healthy diet
Although making healthy diet is a key, there are certain things that need to be kept in mind. Consider these guidelines:
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables : Basing one’s diet on fruits and vegetables, and other plant-based sources is a good thing to do. Whole grains and beans are the best options.
- Avoid obesity : Eat lighter and keeping it clean will help. If someone is obese, they are at a higher risk of overall health also. These people should consider reducing weight and doing some lifestyle modifications.
- If drinking alcohol, do it in moderation : The risk of various types of cancer increases exponentially if a person consumes alcohol. If someone still consumes, it is always advisable to do it in moderation, and limit the intake.
- Limit processed meats : Processed meats have a higher risk of developing cancer in individuals who are otherwise free of it.
Read Also : Health Benefits of Pomegranate Fruits
In addition, women who eat a Mediterranean diet with extra-virgin olive oil nuts that show that they end up having lesser risk of breast cancer. This diet mainly focuses on plant-based foods, and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and vegetables. These people include healthy fats, olive oils, over butter, and fish instead of red meat.
3. Maintain a healthy weight and be physically active
Maintaining a healthy weight will lower the risk of different cancers – including breast, prostate, lung, kidney, and colon. Physical activity also makes a good count here.
- At least 150 minutes of aerobic workout in a week is advised.
4. Protect yourself from the sun
Skin cancer is one of the most common types and the easiest to prevent –
- Avoid midday sun : The sun from 10 AM to 4 PM is shining the hardest, avoid it.
- Stay in the shade : When someone is outdoor, they should prevent the sun as much as possible.
- Cover exposed areas : Wear tightly woven, loose-fitting clothes that cover most of the exposed areas.
- Don’t skimp on sunscreen : Apply sunscreen generously, and reapply in 2 hours if necessary.
- Avoid tanning beds and sunlamps
5. Get vaccinated
Cancer prevention works best if we include protection from certain viral infections also. The vaccines that are very necessary are –
- Hepatitis B : Hepatitis B increases the risk of liver cancer. That is why the hepatitis B vaccine is recommended for adults at high risks of developing the same.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) : HPV is a sexually transmitted virus that leads to squamous erosion of the mucosa of the throat and upper gastrointestinal tract. Vaccines prove a great help in avoiding such diseases.
6. Avoid risky behaviors
Another effective step to prevent cancer can be to avoid risky behaviors that might lead to infection. Infections can increase the risk of cancer, thereby limiting this will help in the overall betterment. Some tactics that can be employed are –
- Practice safe sex : Limit the number of sexual partners and use always prepare yourself to use a condom. The higher the number of sexual partners in your life, the higher is the number of getting contracted by a sexually transmitted disease. These could be HIV or HPV. These viruses increase the chances of cancers of anus, liver, and lung.
- Don’t share needles : Sharing needles is a wrong practice that leads to a high number of cross-contamination cases. These could lead to hepatitis B or hepatitis C.
7. Get checked at a center regularly
Regular self-examinations and screenings can be done for multiple numbers of cancers – including skin cancer, colon cancer, cervix cancer, or breast cancer. The chances of a good recovery increase with early diagnosis and self-evaluations can be of big help. If someone notices anything strange in the body, they should go in for a consult and get diagnosed for the same.
Brain cancer treatment cost in India depends on –
- Type of the disease diagnosed
- The extent of cancer (staging)
- Type of surgery advised
- Type of treatment advised after surgery (Radiation/Chemotherapy)
- Cost of medicines